Saturday, April 19, 2008

First things first...er...you might notice that the 'Psychdelic' look is gone...Besides the fact that it was shitty, I cannot afford to annoy my most loyal reader.....MSavig....here you go.......forgive me for just the small piece left.....it was heartwrenching to rip the whole thing off!!

Starting at the bottom of the food chain in the corporate jungle 'again', has its owns benefits. Most mistakes I make at work now are dismissed as that of a 'learner' or 'new guy' while a a year ago I would have had to face some serious shit and appear as an idiot to guys working under me...( if any of you guys is reading this, I of course know that you used to think that I was a 'Vollidiot', mistake or not). But then again its the bottom of the food chain and so everyone who walks by kinda tramples on you.

Anyways, I have a few German colleagues of similar experience levels joining my company over the past few days and I am kinda working with some of them. And everytime there is a discussion involving a senior colleague and there is need of an idea, the new guys kinda say the exact same thing but processed through a 'Simpsons-vocabulary-converter'. The first few times, I thought it was either

a) a serious case of 'lickin it up to the senior guys' or
b) a case of filling up temporary losses of intellectual capacity

or some combination of the two. But then these are really smart guys, even to my 'Klugscheiser' mind ('Smartass') and the thing was too often and too obvious and every time the senior guy acknowledges their 'nods' with a big smile. Besides being bored to death because of listening to the same things in different versions (its like watching Mike Meyers in Austin Powers, even more annoying) this whole parroting thing makes those marathon German meetings seem as if I am living in slow motion through them. Then as I watched it more, I realized that it was some kinda ritual where the senior guy is reassured that the new guys understood him correctly. And the senior guys expect it, the acknowledgement. Its like the <'Master'> sequence in Shaolin movies, I guess

Nirvana moment, and then things were cool. I now realise how much I'd be driving these senior guys nuts with my annoying interruptions and silent phases. I just wasnt following the protocol. Blame my experiences in US and India for that, you speak only when you at least present a new idea ( or was I just too low level in the organization and this is how management functions all over the world?).

I'll stop overanalyzing this now. I AM turning German!. May be it is just a simple case of 'licking it up'.

0 comments: