Thursday, February 14, 2008

That Mexican fix

One of my biggest concerns on my move from Berlin to NRW has been on the subject of food. Well, I'm one of those guys who you can call a foodie at worst and a culinary expert at best. One of my biggest fears moving to Berlin used to be the apparent lack of good Mexican food here.

All that time spent in Phoenix has convinced me that Mexican cuisine is the world's best. Now coming from an Indian that's a mighty complement. Chino Bandidas, El Bravo and Carolinas, I miss you guys. I especially miss that quick quesadilla, beans, rice lunch at Chinos. I miss that long drive on the I 17 to get to downtown and dig into Carolinas fare. Mr. and Mrs. Jack , thank you for introducing me to the place. Infact I still have a menu from the takeaway somewhere ( Yeah...I have been trying to get over it). There was a Carolinas Nord opening somewhere close to work, wasnt it? All you lucky b*****ds at Deer Valley!! Grrr....

I became such a sucker for Mexican food that even the insipid chimichangas tossed on my plate at Spigas in Bangalore were good for me. Infact Berlin's not been half as bad this last year. I just realized I have to toss away the 'good' in 'good Mexican fare'. I discovered Rosa's Cucina Mexico on Chaussee Strasse ( just keep walking along it till you reach a Total gas station and the restaurant's just across the road) and life's been kinda normal since then. In fact I think I have checked out most places in Berlin which sound out as serving Mexican fare. Food's been shitty at the worst, mediocre at the best. But then, when you go North of AZ and you have to pick your Mexican restaurants ( no...I dont mean Taco Bell here) carefully even in the US, I guess I can take that for Berlin ( I told you I was a sucker for Mexican food).

Now Duisburg, Dusseldorf and the whole NRW region (where I'm gonna move) is so far gastronomically removed from Mexican food, I guess I have to just grin and bear. Google threw up a couple of joints in Duisburg alone(sorry no links), one in the 'picturesque Innenhaven' ( relatively speaking).Lemme see, after all, it's been a descent for some time now on the Mexican culinary scale - Phoenix>Bangalore>Berlin and now Duisburg.

But then I cook a bit too and nothing's easier than a nice cheesy Quesadilla. With most ingredients that can be ordered off the Internet ( thanks again to duisburgbunny), I suppose I can just cook 'em. Considering that I already am the master of the Pollo Diablo, I guess it's just a short trip to burritos, chimichangas, quesadillas and the more real fare. And when they mess up, I guess I can just coat 'em with more vegetables, guacamole and cream, like restaurants here do. Life aint bad. Now hold on to that nut, scrat.

1 comments:

Pradeep said...

Good one...
Even I miss the Chino's...